During its organization in 2009, the Sustainable Raritan River Initiative and its collaborative partners set goals for a regional approach to restoring and preserving the Raritan that would be embraced by state and federal organizations and implemented at the local, county and regional level. These goals, or actions, are outlined in a plan for the Raritan River, entitled, “Reclaiming the Raritan: A Restoration and Sustainable Reuse Plan”, that was published with the support of the Mushett Family Foundation.
Over the summer of 2009, five working groups developed strategies related to each of the key topic areas of the action plan. Members of these groups identified critical data needs, outstanding issues, and solutions for restoring the Raritan.
The individual working group white papers are listed here:
- Hazardous Site and Sediment Cleanup
- Improvements to Water Quality, Stormwater, and Infrastructure
- Stewardship of the Raritan River
- Public Access and Recreation
- Balancing Redevelopment and Restoration
Based on these five reports, the Plan identifies ten actions for a more sustainable Raritan:
- Increase awareness and use of river access points and trails
- Upgrade current river access points and develop a plan for future recreational uses
- Protect and preserve habitat and biodiversity in our river ecosystem
- Adopt the 3Rs: Restore, Rehabilitate and Regenerate
- Maintain and manage preserved open spaces
- Remediate and reuse contaminated sites
- Prevent future pollution
- Significantly reduce stormwater runoff
- Promote restoration and protection plans to address local sub-watersheds (HUC-14)
- Balance redevelopment to sustain ecological values in the Raritan River basin
Click here to see the entire Sustainable Raritan River Action Plan.
The Initiative and the members of the Collaborative recognize the importance of a regional approach to resolving the complex issues associated with the restoration and future protection of the Raritan River, its estuary and all its tributaries. The Action Plan and the strategies for the key focus areas are the foundation for the work that we do.